Sunday, June 1, 2008

ten things you will never find in my kitchen

You will never find these things in my kitchen:
  • Canned fruits or vegetables
  • Cool-whip
  • Processed cheez food of any kind (whiz, spray, individually wrapped "singles.")
  • Instant rice (Uncle Ben's, Minute Rice, etc.)
  • Creepy processed meat products (bologna, pimento loaf, spam, Jeffu's canned toes, etc.)
  • Ho-ho's, Ring-dings, Twinkies, etc.
  • Crisco, margarine, butter substitutes of any kind
  • Non-alcoholic beer
  • Instant pudding
  • Pre-chopped garlic
Things I never thought I would end up having in my house, but have, and they weren't that bad:
  • Instant mashed potatoes (the frozen bag of potato pellets from Trader Joe's may sound unappealing, but they are actually really good if you make them with milk)
  • Instant biscuit mix (I know, this is just gross, but sometimes if I want Tyler to help cook, I have to cut some corners)
  • Instant coffee (not the Sanka shit or anything, but I do have some instant espresso that I've used for making ice cream)
  • Chicken Stock (or broth) from a can (or box). Seriously, I do make my own, but somehow I always run out faster than I can make more, and frankly, I use a lot of stock for stuff, okay?
  • Peeled garlic cloves - I bought these when I was making roasted chicken with 40 garlic cloves, and frankly, they are damned convenient. They taste pretty much the same as regular garlic, too.

No comments: